8.25.2009

Don't get LOST...Get FOUND!

I remember as a child, the one time a week I got popcorn and coke was during Dallas and Falcon Crest! My mom loved those shows and I am almost positive that if I asked her today why that was the night we got to have coke and popcorn, she would say that was how she could keep us tame enough for her to get her shows in.

I see similar patterns in the world today, including myself. We brush so many things aside so that we can watch TV. There are many reasons as to why we might do this. I think the biggest reason is that we feel that we DESERVE to "chillax" or get a bit of peace weaved into our day through Jack Bauer, Ugly Betty, and the HEROES.

Since I have been living without a TV, and I have done this before...I have been spending more time with my Heavenly Father. I can guarantee that there is no better "chillaxin'" going on than when He and I sit and have time together. He is molding me and forming me into the person He wants me to be. Every day, I strive to glorify Him, in whatever it is He brings my way.

So...in 10 - 20 years, I hardly think that I will be thinking much about what happened to Jack Bauer, Ugly Betty, or HEROES...oh yeah, and what about those one guys that got LOST? I don't think my mom sits and thinks a whole lot about who shot J.R. either. So, I am really convicted right now, that the TV, and some other things, definitely need to take a backseat in my life. Who knows where I will be in 10 to 20 years? GOD DOES! And He wants to prepare me now for the obstacles and accomplishments I am working toward.

So...I want to encourage you to turn off the TV, open the Word, which, by the way, will be more relevant than any show on TV. It HAS been relevant for over 2000 years! And memorize God's Word and spend time with something and Someone who will continue to be effective in your life throughout the years!

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

--2 Timothy 3:14-17

No comments: