7.08.2013

Unexpected

One of the most memorable things about mission trips usually tends to be when the unexpected happens.  Undoubtedly there is something that doesn't go as planned and it is most often in those moments that God shows up in the most unexpected, awesome ways. 

On my first trip to Honduras we went to a hospital.  There is a section of the hospital reserved for children actually dying of cancer and only a few people are allowed in there at a time which meant only 3 of us could go in.  I think two of us went.  We were told to expect that it would be difficult and between me and the other gal going in, I spoke the most Spanish.  So, as we were going through visiting the kids it really wasn't as "bad" as I expected.  We got to the last room and I walked in to see the biggest smile I have ever seen.  I don't remember her name because she was "Sunshine" from that moment on.  It is amazing how God can drop language barriers and I understood almost everything Sunshine's mom said and was able to speak to her.  She was 8 years old and dying, any day she could go.  As I looked closer I could see that she was nothing but skin and bones.  Her mom and her were so full of joy and loved Jesus and knew that when Sunshine fell asleep for the last time here she would be partying with the angels.

The unexpected here?  I thought I was going to minister to those people.  Little do they know how BIG of an impact they made on my life.  I think of Sunshine and her mom often.  I know that unless God answered our prayer for complete healing, Sunshine is dancing with the Jesus today and her mom is awaiting the day she can be with her baby again. 

Pray for the team in Haiti.  Odds are God is ministering and speaking to them through the people of Haiti as much as they are  ministering to others.  He is amazing like that.  I can't wait to hear the stories of the individuals that touch their lives and pray they can meet people that they will never forget.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go straight to God, I'd throw myself on the mercy of God.  After all, he's famous for great and unexpected acts; there's no end to his surprises. He gives rain, for instance, across the wide earth, sends water to irrigate the fields. He raises up the down-and-out, gives firm footing to those sinking in grief. He aborts the schemes of conniving crooks, so that none of their plots come to term. He catches the know-it-alls in their conspiracies— all that intricate intrigue swept out with the trash! Suddenly they're disoriented, plunged into darkness; they can't see to put one foot in front of the other. But the downtrodden are saved by God, saved from the murderous plots, saved from the iron fist. And so the poor continue to hope, while injustice is bound and gagged.
                                                                                                --Job 5:8-16 (The Message)




No comments: